There are two methods to making a Macaron – the “French” method and the “Italian” method. The difference between the two is the way the meringue is made – either Italian or French meringue can be combined with ground almonds.
A Macaron is made by combining icing sugar and ground almonds until fine. In a separate bowl, egg whites that are beaten until a meringue-like texture. The two elements are then folded together until they are the consistency of “shaving foam”, and then are piped, left to form a skin, and baked.
- 4 egg whites
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tsp pink food colouring
- 125g ground almonds
- 225g icing sugar
- A pinch salt
- 12 tbsp raspberry conserve
- 100ml cream
1. Heat the oven to 160˚C and line a baking tray
with baking paper.
2. Attach the whisk and add the egg whites,
caster sugar and food colouring. Whisk on a
high speed until you have stiff peaks.
3. Remove the whisk and attach the creaming
beater. Slowly fold in the ground almond,
icing sugar and salt on a low speed. Mix
until smooth and syrupy then scrape into a
4. Pipe 3cm discs of the mixture onto the tray,
leaving a couple of centimetres between each
one. Tap the tray hard on the work surface to
help prevent the tops cracking and bake for
about 20 minutes or until they come away
easily from the paper.
5. Leave to cool.
6. Add the cream to the bowl and attach
the whisk. Whisk until you have soft peaks.
Remove the whisk and add the creaming
beater, add the jam and mix until combined.
7. Sandwich the macarons together with the
jam mix and serve.